History of AIA Wyoming
On June 15, 1946, a group of 16 Wyoming resident architects met in Cheyenne, Wyoming to form the Wyoming Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, now known as AIA Wyoming. Nine months later, on March 15, 1947, the chapter’s charter was signed by the National president. AIA Wyoming is responsible to uphold the AIA’s mission of “uniting in fellowship the members of the architectural profession...to make the profession of ever-increasing service to society.”
AIA Wyoming has worked to further the mission by first establishing the Wyoming State Board of Architects in 1951, to test and license all practicing architects to safeguard life, health and property of the citizens of Wyoming. The first license, no. 0001, was awarded to William DuBois, who was commonly referred to as the “grandfather” of the architectural profession in Wyoming.
One of AIA Wyoming’s greatest accomplishments was the establishment of the Architectural Educational Foundation of AIA Wyoming (AEF/AIAW), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. The foundation was created to award scholarships to worthy Wyoming students to study architecture and to memorialize the history of AIA Wyoming members who gave years of service to the profession and the chapter.